Confidence While Setting Loving Limits with Toddler

I realized that when you know what you are doing and fee confident, you won't feel guilt when you set limits with your child. It is only when you are unsure about what you are doing that you feel undeserving of boundaries and taking time for yourself. This is true for people who have low confidence and a sense of low worth, they are not really happy so telling their child no feels wrong to them.

They do not have boundaries for their own needs and are enmeshed with others. Including their child. They will feel unworthy of being listened to, because don't really believe in themselves.

I saw this with myself, and in the store today with my daughter. I usually feel more nervous and unsure of myself telling her to stop making a mess etc, but this time I saw it and told her no firmly. I believe she needs boundaries and it is good to set them. I have a stronger sense of myself.

Children are very truthful too and will sense when you are upset. Pretending you are happy when you are really not is not worth it most of the time. It is better to be honest with yourself. And not just act for others because that is enmeshment.

Being aware of the true feelings is the first step to being able to change them. The child can wait, sometimes we need time for ourselves to get a bearing. Lies are what destroy children's trust the most.

Also, I see with my daughter that she wants to be trusted to be independent. She likes listening, and without boundaries she gets confused and upset. For example this morning I let her play by herself because I was busy outside, and she wandered away to the street. I let her go because I did not want to restrain her, but then I got worried so I went to get her. She screamed at first, but I felt like she was happier because I was not letting her go when I did not feel it was right for her. She also got down from the table when I asked her to, and only went back on one time with me having to pull her back. It was proper and she understood. She also ate with us, and I enjoyed watching her ask for drink when she saw me drinking. She has a cute independent streak, wanting to do things I do like always taking a bag and putting stuff in it. I even saw her putting random clothes in the laundry like I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

Who Are Adopted Children Really