Security Objects and Babies

         Reading in The Aware Baby that giving babies comfort objects to soothe them when they cry causes them to repress their feelings and become used to having those things always near them. Page 57-58: "In response to this withdrawal of attention, the baby may console herself by clutching a corner of her blanket or sucking her thumb. If this occurs frequently, these will become her control patterns, and she will want to hold the same blanket and suck her thumb each time she needs to cry." Objects like these blankets are sometimes referred to as security objects, or transitional objects, and some professionals look at it as healthy for babies because they found a way to soothe themselves. 

           This is so sad for me to read because all my childhood I have been famous in my family for my "blankie" and sucking my thumb. I was addicted to it and when we went somewhere without it my Mom gave me an old undershirt hoping it would suffice. And I remember giving my approval, and the relief of everybody that we didn't have to travel an hour back to get the real blanket. It was definitely a security object, and it ironically bore the beatings of my feelings, because having worn it out so much it ripped to pieces. Now all I remember last seeing of it it was a tiny shard of green stripped material. Ironic because that was what my heart had left of it by the end of my childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

Who Are Adopted Children Really