Homecoming

           Hurray for John Bradshaw! I decided to listen to a playlist of him on YouTube, and it gave me inspiration and understanding. He said that when little children and infants are abused, emotionally or physically, they don't know it's abuse because it is all they experienced. They internalize the blame because they idealize their parents. in adolescence, they can see things clearer and that is why there is a lot of pain in that stage. They grow up with those same notions that they grew up believing, which is why it is so important to KNOW their childhood stories in order to understand why they think the way they do. People form their identity around how they were treated in early years, and if it is against their will, they will be people-pleasers and having a "counter-identity." Meaning they will learn that the way they are is by being quiet and invisible. This is what happened to me, and why I formed my identity around being perfect and falling to other's wills. This is why abuse is so rampant in families, because kids are so vulnerable. He said that he was a Dad that was a pleaser to his kids, but then exploded and couldn't keep it up, so abused, but then went back to being the pleasing Dad. This is familiar to me. That is what happens when you don't know who you really are.

           This is the whole thing.

           It scared me but helped me to understand what my daughter thinks. She will indeed grow up the way I see her and treat her. I am proud she still protests when upset.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

Who Are Adopted Children Really