Functional Family

             John Bradshaw says that a "normal" family is functional. Meaning they can help each other with most of their needs, can be creative, can speak their minds. Pia Melody says that when fear, anxiety, and shame prevents a person from being authentic, comfort is nonexistent. I think a family should have comfort the be authentic. My husband grew up in a family where he and his siblings feared speaking their minds for punishment and anger, so they all shut down.

            Bradshaw also said that a functional family is able to be flexible, and they know that they won't be yelled at if they make mistakes. This sounds like my dream family, and I want to cultivate my home to be this way. So far, my husband and I are pretty accepting of each other's true selves, when we are not in a triggered state. We have to work on respecting each other's state and knowing where the feelings come from. More about that later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

Who Are Adopted Children Really