Protecting Boundaries And Speaking My Truth

           I saw yesterday that when I visited a neighbor in order to get my daughter a new playmate, they were extremely different in their views in life than me. I let myself keep my own opinions, and voiced them when I felt like it. We had a whole discussion and getting to know each other, and the mother was firing questions at me. I did not like her brashness and views of things- she even said she was very pessimistic on life and saw things as very difficult. I do not like when people are so negative and run their lives that way, and saw how much happier I am now than in the past, where I would have fallen victim to her darkness and let it sweep me under the rug. This time, I said what I thought, and her daughters, two teenagers, were in rapt attention of me and really enjoyed my dialog. I spoke about how I let my child roam free because I want her to have good self- confidence, and the mother freaked out when I told about how I let her near dangerous objects such as eating big objects for exploring, because I do not believe the baby will want to hurt herself. I spoke about Aware Parenting and it's research of babies being more capable than we give them credit. The little grandson there stared at me with terrified, suspicious eyes, which told me he was very repressed due to their lifestyle of control. I smiled at him and said to play with my daughter, but he disappeared. When the mother started screaming at me about the importance of giving your child the shots needed, and that if I did not get them I was putting everyone else in danger, I commented that she was speaking offensively by calling those who did not do it "retards," and she denied it and said she was merely passionate and not "angry." I stared at her quietly, and she ran away saying she needed a nap but covered up her angry outburst by saying, "I hope you do not have to learn the hard way that I am right and your daughter will develop a deadly disease (G-d forbid). Would you also refuse a shot if it was to save her from that?" I was shocked, and said I would not answer. Her daughters were flabbergasted by my "calmness" and I told them I did see a point of arguing with her because she would not listen to me anyway, and we need to just listen to the research. They tried to defend their mother by saying that she was just passionate. They were very impressed when I did not take it personally. I told them some more of my views, and they found me very interesting and said I should come again, but that I probably wouldn't now because of the argument. I did not say anything, and left smiling.

         It feels good to have my own back. I will indeed try to find people who I do not have to "explain" myself to, as Ralph Smart says about recognizing who are your 'soulmates.' 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

Who Are Adopted Children Really