Bonds and Motherhood

I keep needing to learn about the permanence of bonds. Like I am linked to others in the world. It is easy to say, but hard to feel for me. I think I made a friend one day, and the minute I lose interest in conversing with them I feel like they disappeared. It is leftover emotions from my primal age and being relinquished, twice as a mere newborn. And never being validated, and used as a pawn for my mother's self-esteem. She put her pain onto me and inflicted emotional incest on me when she ignored my pain and abused me verbally and physically. I will never forget. I can't afford to.

Anyway, I was thinking of how Zara Phillips said that she loved having her own children because she felt that primal feeling of oneness with them as newborns, and I enjoy the same with my baby daughter. I feel totally connected with her at times, because she needed and needs me so. But it is scary to disconnect, and as Zara said, we adoptees have a hard time knowing the difference between our and their emotions. For example, when she gets hurt I become very pained because I project my own lack of love in childhood onto her, and I overcompensate by reacting too lovingly. Or when she looks away from me because she may be tired or hurt from a minor event that happened earlier, I become completely devastated and feel hopeless. So I distract myself because the pain is too great, and she ends up feeling more ignored. But it is NOT AS BAD AS I FEEL IT MUST BE. I am too caught up in my own devastation and rejection from my mother that I can't cope. It is hard to let her go, because she must be confused by my behavior and I keep feeling scared she doesn't feel our connection... Lord.

Zara said something interesting that I related to. She was scared of having a daughter when she was pregnant, because she was unsure about being able to have a bond with her based on how she fought with her adoptive mother and never felt it. I feel the same and am glad she brought it up in her book.

But anyway, the more I trust bonds between myself and others, the more I feel I am alive in this world. That I have a right to be here. I got to keep trying to feel real. That is, to see my true feelings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

Who Are Adopted Children Really