Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

My daughter was anxious as me when we got back. I wanted to write a whole letter to my Rabbi about the community ignorance of emotions, and she was not falling asleep. I was kind of on edge and finished it. Then she ran around the house and I made myself some food even though I snacked earlier. She started squishing the cherry tomatos, and I recognized that it was from her frustrated emotions so I said to her, "You're angry right?" And she delighted and repeated the word and squeezed some more on them with her fingers. I winced inside a bit from the waste, and tried to focus. It was good that I was trying to validate her a bit, unlike how I was never validated at all for my grief as a baby. But it was hard because I was stressed. Needed time to myself and yet she needed my attention... And I felt a spiral coming. I desperately tried to hold on to myself and her. My mind was telling me that she was needy and that I was doing a bad job. But my heart was screaming for focus on myself. I was worried about her "rejection" if I ignored her.

I blamed my "parents." I blamed everyone. I seethed silently until I had to do something. And not be distracting myself on the phone or eating. So I sat numbly. My husband came in and was also seething and numb from the day. We talked a bit and he understood what had happened with my parents. I told him to get off his phone when he stayed on it. He listened and even played with my daughter. We both marvelled at how she projected her feelings onto a stuffed monkey and said angry at it like I showed her, and then kissed it like I showed. I realized how true it is that kids really mimic and hold their parents in such strong esteem. It also scares me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Who Are Adopted Children Really