Intrinsic Adoptee Shapes My Life

Am in a weird mood. Emotional. The way my daughter is growing makes me proud. How she brought me a tissue yesterday when I asked her to bring one. How she remembered the names of different objects. How she seemed to truly get upset when I didn't let her out of her stroller, that she walked the other way. When right before that she was in a good, cooperative mood. How she seems to fall asleep instantly when I shut off all my worrying and stress, despite any struggle during the day. But when I am tense inside she always feels it and it shows up. I am sad because I realize that she loves me and is growing up to become her own person. I am proud of her. And... I love her.

I get emotional over love because it was never really there when I was a kid. Am trying to remember my history, because it popped up in my head today as I lay down next to her trying to drift off to sleep. We have a big day tomorrow, traveling early in the morning to look into moving somewhere. I did positive affirmations, and a song popped in my head. It went, "We are over but I'm still the same and I just miss you... Sometimes." And I imagined my child self sitting alone in my room staring at a book, endless pit of despair in my gut from the house life. How tense it always was. And I thought it was my fault, my shame. It ate me up so I had to run into books. And acting silly and stupid all the time in public. I never would have imagined that there was a way out, that the pain was not normal.

So it is hard for me to feel that now- that I really did go through it. It feels almost part of my psyche. That everything I do mimicks its' undertone- that the world is not safe. Not permanent. Like, adopted like me. And I noticed how all my actions today had an unreal quality... All the chatter I spoke to others, all the waiting for things to go my way. It all felt... Fabricated and not intrinsically me. Because my beginning is shaky.

Or because I am trying to get a new start and change my life, that the excitement in it made me slip back to my old functioning. Who knows. Need sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limbic Brain Flashbacks From Trauma

Daughter and Projection of Anxiety

Who Are Adopted Children Really